Friday, January 9, 2009

Simply Vinegar

So, I have a category in my list of labels called “recommendations” it has the most random sort of things in it. I do feel the need, however, to add yet another totally random post to “recommendations” and it comes in “tip” form.

My “tip” goes as follows.

Buy a gallon of vinegar, and use it!

I pretty much clean with just vinegar and water. (I do use regular old toilet bowl cleaner, and I currently have a name brand eco friendly window/glass cleaner, but that’s because someone gave it to me. Streaks don’t bother me too much, so I usually just use watered down vinegar for windows too.)

Here are a few things I use vinegar for, but not limited to.

About 1 part water to 1 part vinegar, in a spray bottle
CLEANS

  • Countertops
  • Tabletops
  • Sinks
  • Gideon’s highchair
  • Windows (as mentioned earlier, but it does streak)
  • Toys
  • Refrigerator
  • Outside of toilet bowl
  • Carpet (spot treatments)
  • Cars dashboard and steering wheel

Full strength vinegar, usually in a spray bottle
CLEANS

  • Floors
  • Bathtub/shower
  • Inside of toilet bowl (works, but not as well as the thick stuff you can buy, that stays on longer)
  • Landry soap enhancement (you’re probably not supposed to do this, but sometimes when I’m washing an extra dirty prefold (clothe diaper) I add vinegar through the liquid bleach section of the washing machine, I’ve found it removes the scent of urine better than bleach did) I’m such a rebel!
  • Dishwasher (run through an empty dishwasher to get rid of soap buildup)
So, there you have it, it could be the worlds cheapest, safest all purpose cleaner!


And let me tell you, with a boy like Gideon running around I’m SOOO thankful to use a cleaner that’s so safe, you can drink it! It’s saved many a trip to the ER/call to poison control! : )

Here’s an interesting link, with 62 uses for vinegar -
http://odyb.net/food-cooking/62-little-known-uses-of-vinegar/

1 comment:

Rissa said...

I love this post. LOVE it! I have committed to truly budgeting our money this year, and one thing really stuck out to me: I do NOT have a lot of cash for cleaning supplies. I was so excited when I read this post because it gave me renewed hope - I could clean for much, much less! And it would be safe! And I wouldn't have to support yucky companies!
I tried the vinegar for the first time this morning. I cleaned my kitchen with ONLY vinegar and water - never used even a drop of anything else - and it looks wonderful! I went on to clean my windows, windowsills, and fireplace mantel...it all looks AMAZING. I was telling my friend about it afterward, and she said an additional great way to clean tough stuff (like the tub, toilet, kitchen sink, etc) it with baking soda (I'd say in addition to the vinegar). It's great for scrubbing and most everyone already has a box of it in their kitchen! So...I think I've fully converted. Vinegar...baking soda...man. I am excited.
I just wanted to make sure you knew that you really helped me! I'm so grateful :)